Thursday, October 30, 2008

We are the 80's. Like, duh!

First of all, for all of you that hate black blog backgrounds, I promise this is only temporary. It's just my Halloween Blog Makeover. Normal blog colors and music will be back soon. :)

***********************************************************************

The 80's. Oh MY. Where do I begin? This poster of Michael Jackson was hanging on my friend Shauna's wall so I took a picture of it. (Hence the big FLASH spot on the left. This was about the time (7th grade?) that I really started to pay attention to pop music after I heard one girl making fun of me because I had said I listened to my parent's radio station. I might even have owned my own M.J. poster, but I may have blocked out the unpleasant memory.

The above dance picture is my first official high school dance: Jr. Prom. I was a sophomore and my date was a senior! Whooo hooo! This is not long after my first official break-up with my first official boyfriend. (Mike Walker, shame on you! ;) ) He may have dumped me, but his friends didn't. I remained good friends with them all through high school and for many years after. Sadly, I've lost track of all of them now except Collette. She's married and has a bunch of cute kids.
The second picture is my Jr. school picture. This was right before I missed a quarter of school due to Mono. No, I didn't get it from kissing boys...because the boy I had kissed (yes, Dad, I know you read this...and yes, I did kiss boys...*insert chagrin here*)...the boy I was currently kissing didn't have it. And even though I ended up in the hospital, said boy never called or asked how I was. Just wrote a note in my year book at the end of the year that he "still really liked me."

Here are some of the friends that I made when I dated that first official boyfriend. The Mike in the middle was called "Ked" (part of his last name) so we didn't confuse him with "my" Mike. My best friend in this group was Rob Stirling. I tried to find a picture but so far no luck. He and his first wife lived next to my hubby and I when we were newlyweds for a while...but I haven't heard from him in years.
This would be the guy who didn't give me Mono but also never called when I missed a whole quarter of school and rumors floated around that I almost died. (Incidentally, the only person I knew who had Mono was the guy who made the ice cream at the Leatherby's. (My first official job.) We were hardly even on speaking terms let alone kissing ones. I've always wondered if there was a rash of Mono outbreaks due to tainted ice cream.....

That's me my senior year. My official 80's BIG HAIR is in full bloom. I'm rocking an $80 dollar spiral perm and one of those dropped waist dresses with those lace collars that were so common then. Next pic is actually from 1990 after I had graduated...I'm at a dance with a college friend and we decided to do this tux and short thing. I have NO idea why. I'm displaying the official 80's side ponytail with the requisite scrunchy. Awww....


Right above is the prom I went to after high school (who does that???) with my good friend Terry. He was kind of crazy but always made me laugh. Both he and I enjoyed creative writing and absurd humor. I wonder what he's doing these days....
Next pic is a dance I went to with one of the many Daves who walked through my life. The first Dave I had a crush on from 9th grade clear through my senior year. We went out once or twice, but he always seemed to choose someone else. I guess I must have been a glutton for punishment. The above Dave was one of two that I dated in college. We even talked marriage at one point. From what I know now, that would have been a disaster. Crisis averted. The other Dave was one that I really liked whom I dated casually for a while...but that was also around the time I started dating Reed...and you know the rest of that story....


One last picture from high school. My senior year I went on a drama trip to San Francisco for a drama tournament. (Debate team also went.) It was over my birthday and my mom made cute little notes for each day of the trip. I still have them somewhere. Krista (whom I'm standing next to) and I did a clarinet duet in 8th or 9th grade for a band concert. She was much better at playing it than I was. I gave it up but I think she still played it. Oh...and see Ryan there? I always thought he was hot...
There you have it. Your 80's flashback for the day. How can something seem like so long ago AND like yesterday at the same time?

16 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I love your hair in your senior picture!!

I never want to wear another pair of high wasted jeans again....even though my belly hangs like a muffin. HA!

lynette355 said...

Ok, 1st: comments won't show due to black on black.
2nd: love the music still for the halloween theme. college girl got up and did the time warp!
3rd: when you can swap your columns. that way your music does not overlap your blog and we can read it all.
4th: i love your blog! Your worth lots of awards. I laughed so much at what I remembered. You have some great pics!

WheresMyAngels said...

I'm guessing Dave is interested in the other sex, because without even reading your story I figured he was your best shopping friend ;)

You have got some great pictures with lots of different 80's styles. That first dress you have on, I had one like it in yellow. I only went to one dance my whole high school year and that year wasn't one. I just had to wear a formal to be an usher for the high school play.

Thanks for playing :)

Jim said...

You kissed boys???

Good post. Brings back memories, not many though as you know how bad my memory is of past events.

The Sutton Family said...

Ahem...the 80's without ME? Are you crazy??

lynette355 said...

here i am to listen to some fantastic halloween music. thanks for the comment on my page! You can save, look for creative ways to get food. You would be surprised at how we do it on our lil incomes. And the "booty warmers" pic may not be the best but they are our two Chihuahuas.

keri said...

Hi Sis - love the blog. I think you are beautiful with poofy hair. My gorgeous big sister who got all the guys! You are also a wonderful writer. Thanks for sharing!

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, I love those photos! The 80s were, well, so WRONG, but so FUN!

Now I have to go find my Ray-Bans...

Happy Halloween!

:^) Anna

Lisa said...

OH MY GOSH! I know so many of those people in those pictures!! Between the HHS site and these pictures, talk about major flashbacks! Loved the post!

joybear said...

Very fun read!!! Love the photos!!

some kind of wonderful said...

thanks for the laugh...i mean blast from the past! lol! yeah... i had the big hair and wings too! man when i think what i used to do to my hair, its a wonder i have any left on my head!

Natty said...

You look like you were my best friend! I'm so feeling it! No way I'd dare enough to post 80's photos of me! A friend of mine did for me on Facebook. One of them was so bad I asked her to delete it.
Yikes.

Fink said...

girl I remember those days! I am not sure I even have pictures! Maybe my senior pic!

Stampin' Meg said...

wow- these are sooooooooo 80's!Thanks for sharing- they sure made me smile BIG!

Andrea Amu said...

Ohhh girl, you have me in stitches right now! This post is hilarious! Love all the 80's pix!

Timeshare Jake said...

The pictures remind me of a good John Hughes 80's movie. They were good times!