Monday, June 02, 2008

Random Ramblings on this 2nd of June...

1) I can't find my wallet. That, in itself, is a fairly common occurrance. But still, it gives me anxiety until it's found because I have all these mental images of someone cleaning out what's left in my checking account by going hog wild at McDonalds. I really need to pay attention to where I put things....

2) DD is going to Raging Waters today for school (my tax dollars at work!). She tried to leave for school using her swimming suit as a top--(it's a tankini.) I may be the most unhip mom to a teenage girl in the world, and I realize she will be wearing said top AT Raging Waters in full view of all the same boys she would have seen at school, but there was something just not. right. about wearing it TO school...even though she'd be leaving for the water park around 10. Was I right? Wrong? Discuss.

3) I have GOT to stop staying up so late.

4) Tonight is the kiddo's first big dance recital. I'm nervous for them and excited for them at the same time. I'm worried about Ike in particular, because, even though he's learned a lot REALLY FAST (they've had 2 months to learn what the other kids have been working on since January,) I can tell he's still hestitant and unsure about where he's supposed to be for some of the songs. Add to that the fact that the teacher hadn't even GOTTEN to practicing the last two songs until last week and I'm a nervous wreck. Plus, Sadie hasn't ever performed this stuff before and at the last practice she looked so DONE with it all. LOL! Crossing my fingers that it goes of with nary a hitch.

5) One of my dear friends and former teaching partners gave her notice and will not be returning to teach next year. This makes me SO sad...she is really the only person there who made an effort to be my friend on a personal level. (I love all the ladies there, but I always have a hard time *fitting* into established groups. I seem to linger on the outside fringe.) Janice just....made me feel like she liked ME because she wanted to, not just because she worked with me. I will really miss her.

6) ACKK! I have a new mini project and I'm not sure how to start. At church, I'm the primary president (which means I'm in charge of Sunday School for the children under 12.) A few weeks ago, the father of two of the children committed suicide. (He'd been in and out of jail, and had problems with drugs.) I always have my camera at our activities, and had snapped a few of this dad at the last one where he wanted to come along. After the activity, I had posted a collage on the bulletin board that included one of those pictures. Yesterday, his sweet son (10 years old and very quiet) pulled me up to the bulletin board, pointed to the picture of his dad, and asked if he could have it when I was done. I told him I'd make him a big one (this one was just wallet size as part of the collage.) Then his younger sister asked if I had one of her and her dad too. Turns out that this family really doesn't have any family pictures at all.

Anyway, I went home to see what I have. I'd love to do a little album for them since I don't think they have pictures at all...I don't think they even have school pictures. But I'm not sure what to include or how to go about it, since it would be just pictures and no journaling. Unfortunately, the only pictures I have of the daughter and her dad have her talking to him, with her back to the camera. It literally breaks my heart.

I guess that's it for this bright sunny day in which my daughter is NOT wearing a tankini top to school. Thanks for stopping by! :)

6 comments:

shellie said...

oh, that breaks my heart about those kids. Sweet of you to do that for them.
and you were absolutely correct with the tankini thing. I wouldn't have let her wear it either.
I have a new top-- very cute, but it is a halter type top. approiate to wear on a hot summers day, but I think I may be in trouble if I tried to wear it to work. :D same difference.
Hey-- I miss you! I am coming to the next crop in Oct. , but that is far away. I haven't really done much in computer or scrap time, just been busy with life. I am trying to start on an assignment now, but am procrastinating big time! I still have something for you-- I don't think I got your addy- If I did, I lost it already-= email it to me again. ttys. shellie

Kelly Goree Photography said...

uh, since WHEN did your dd get old enough to be a teenager for cryin' out loud??!! eeps!

So sorry to hear about those poor sweet babies loosing their father :( It just makes my heart ache...

Tiffney said...

I agree with you on the swimsuit....I once read in a parenting book that if your kids are not mad at you at least once in the day you are not doing your job right....what do you think about that? I hope the performance went well for the kids. I am sure your project will be a treasure to those kids even if the girl has her back to the camera. I am with you I need to go to bed earlier....Tiff

Anonymous said...

You updated it!! I have come and peeked, but it hadn't changed in ages. lol Nice to see you blogging again!!

Carroll said...

Boy, am I glad I'm not raising girls in this day and age. Lisette is now 38 and Mattie is 35. I didn't have to worry about tankinis back when they were little.

I love the look of your blog! You'r so talented...I'm glad to claim you as my neice.

When you wrote about the "dark side" of SLC I could sympathize with you. Green Valley is beautiful. I start every morning thinking, Another day in paradise. But it's in the corridor between the Mexican border of Nogales and Tucson, so a lot of drugs and illegals are moved through our area.

Anyhow, it was great reading about you and your family and seeing the great photos. Keep blogging!

Jim said...

The boys and Sadie did very well. I would never have guessed they hadn't been practicing as long as the other kids. I really enjoyed the show.