Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Random Ramblings....

1. Fair food isn't what it used to be. We took the family to the State Fair last night. It was family night and just about half the cost. Unfortunately we more than spent what we saved when we decided to eat there. I remember the fair having unusual offerings that you can't get other times of the year. Now most of the food is chain food, with the exception of things like deep fried twinkies and deep fried pb&j's....which we didn't get. Still, Sadie loved the animals and I got to show off my mad scrapbook skills. We got home at 10. On a school night. Which, to my kids, was worth the price of admission.


Here's a few pics from the fair...including a big surprise for me!




2. Things are starting to move for the CX DT. Paper work is being filled out, details are being explained and we're getting to know each other. It's exciting to get started!

3. I'm watching this crazy game show called "Hole in the Wall." Basically, there's a big foam wall with holes cut in it in varies shapes, including people shapes. The wall moves towards you and you have to fit your body through the shape without breaking the wall or being pushed into a pool of water. My kids think it looks like fun. I think that unless they have a big 'ol BALL sized hole, I wouldn't have a prayer.

4. While I was flipping channels during the commercial, I happened on an awards show where Dennis Leary was wearing a J-Lo, cleavage-to-the-belly-button gold lame dress. That's one image I won't be able to scrub from my mind.....

5. Funny little retail story:

At the LSS I work at, we literally have thousands of sheets of paper. Thousands. Each individually hand priced. I often feel like I'm doing well just to know generally where each manufacturer is (and there's still some that are "lost" to me...) and what papers we have in stock. We often have customers that come in and ask if we have a specific piece of paper...and if they know the manufacturer, I can usually find it if we have it. If they want a specific type of paper, I can usually offer some suggestions.

But yesterday, I got stumped.

A lady walked in and says, "I'm looking for a specific piece of "plain" paper and I know you have it."

Oh oh. Usually when someone says that, it precedes us NOT having it for one reason or another. Just because a manufacturer website lists that we carry their products, we don't necessarily carry ALL their products, and just because they STILL list it on the website doesn't mean we still have it.

So she says, "It's 8 1/2 by 11 and it's plain paper."

I have NO clue what she's asking for. A plain white sheet of paper?

She says, "It's LD-23 something."

Of the thousands of papers in the store, she wants me to find one particular piece from an item number...a PARTIAL item number. Our LSS is very low-tech. We don't have a computerized inventory system.

"I know you have it," she says. "It said so on the website."

"Do you remember the company's name? "

"No, but the paper is LD 2...something."

Needless to say, I couldn't find it. Not even sure we had it. Not even sure how she thought I could help her. But I tried anyway.

6. I got tagged by Elizabeth, one of the gals on the CX DT. I'm supposed to list 6 quirky things about myself. It's kind of funny, because I found this out after I had to use 3 words to describe myself for my CX DT bio, and quirky was one of them!

* I have feet issues. I can't stand tight shoes, or anything that makes my feet feel squished. I also don't like Reed's feet touching my feet when we snuggle. It weirds me out.

* I talk to myself. In the car, when I'm figuring something out at work, when I'm alone in the house. Don't know why, maybe it helps me think?

*I harmonize to everything. I once saw a you-tube video about the most annoying people in a car pool...and there was the "Harmonizer..." the person who sings harmony to the songs on the radio. It showed some guy in the backseat singing falsetto harmony while everyone else in the car winced in agony. Yep, I'm that guy.

*I'm a Sci-fi geek. I think that's self-explanatory.

* I have an odd sense of humor. Usually people end up laughing AT me instead of wit

* If I'm around someone with a strong accent, I have to CONCENTRATE not to start sounding like them. Sometimes if I'm not careful, it starts to slip in a little and then the person probably thinks I'm making fun of them.

All right...I'm IT, and you're tagged!

13 comments:

Z and S said...

Haha! Zachary was watching "hole in the Wall" tonight as well. He was laughing so hard. I don't think I have heard him be that loud in a loooooong time. I am not too sure about the outfits they have the contestants wear...a little on the tight side.

Shellieh said...

lol, laughing at the quirks-- I think I have just about all of those, can I just copy and paste? ;) ok, I will think on this.
Congrats on the ribbon! how exciting! I don't think our fair even has a scrapbook place-- but I haven't been in awhile, so who knows. Anyway, it's over for this year, maybe next. :D I used to go to the one in ca (when we lived there) just for the rides-- who cared about all that other stuff? We were city girls. We went to meet boys, and go on thrill rides, lol.

Stampin' Meg said...

Our LA County fair is $17 this year to get in and $10 to park-I think we'll be passing. Congrats on the blue ribbon-it will make a smashing SB page embellie,you quirky girl!

joybear said...

Congrats again on the best of show ribbon!!! You RoCK!!! Do we get to see the layout that you entered to win? So exciting that CX is moving along!!! Love your quirks...do you have to sleep with your feet uncovered?

joybear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Congrats! Thanks for telling me! I am barely keeping up with both of my blogs. Maybe I should have just done the picture thing once a week, better yet maybe once a month! Anyways, keep checking back I will post your tag! thanks I enjoy doing those.

Misty said...

Yeah, I know the fair was good for my little guy, but I just couldn't shell out five bucks for a piece of cheese pizza. So sad.
Thanks for stopping by.
Misty

wendyp said...

Congrats on the ribbon!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I love going to the fair to eat all the junk, but costs way too much!! I love your quirks!!

Fink said...

Truly sad but I have some of those quirks too! Is something wrong with us? :P: I love the picture of the kids dancing! It was nice of the cow to want to dance : )

Suzanne said...

congrats at the fair Mer! I actually have at least one of your quirks Mer. I'm gonna try and not be biased..lol..and list six about myself!

Andrea Amu said...

Our big state fair is coming up and I can't wait! I look forward to this all year long. One of these years I'll need to enter some of my scrapping. Congrats on your Best of Show and all your other ribbons!

Andrea Amu said...

Oh and yes, I'd love to see you around my dh... you'd have fun with his accent!